- Phamaly Announces the 2013 Season - PHAMALY is now Phamaly Theatre Company
- Click HERE to Watch the video unveiling Phamaly’s new logo and company identity
- Phamaly is the proud recipient of the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce 2011 Small Nonprofit Organization of the Year Award
- Phamaly named Top Theatre Company for 2012 by Denver’s 5280 Magazine!
- Phamaly named the 2012 Professional/Community Theatre of the Year by the Alliance for Colorado Theatre!
WHAT IS PHAMALY?
Phamaly Theatre Company (formerly known as The Physically Handicapped Actors & Musical Artists League) produces professional scale plays and musicals year-round throughout the Denver Metro region, cast entirely of performers with disabilities across the spectrum (physical, cognitive, emotional, blindness, deafness…etc.) Phamaly was formed in 1989 when a group of former students of the Boettcher School in Denver, Colorado, grew frustrated with the lack of theatrical opportunities for people living with disabilities, and decided to create a theatre company that would provide individuals with disabilities the opportunity to perform. As a not-for-profit membership organization, Phamaly is dedicated to producing traditional theatre in nontraditional ways.
HOW IS PHAMALY DIFFERENT FROM OTHER THEATRE GROUPS?
Phamaly brings a unique and unusual approach to the theatre landscape. Phamaly produces professional quality live theatre with performers who are physically and/or developmentally challenged, empowering them to acquire new and improve upon existing acting skills. Phamay also educates other theatre professionals in methods of adapting their performances to include differently-abled actors.
WHEN DOES PHAMALY PERFORM?
- January & February: A comedic or dramatic play staged at the Aurora Fox Arts Center and remounted at the Arvada Center for Arts & Humanities.
- April: DisLabled, an original sketch comedy centered around the absurdities of life that individuals with disabilities encounter on a daily basis. This features a cast from the Boulder region and is performed at The Dairy Center in Boulder.
- July & August: A Broadway-scale musical at The Space Theatre at the Denver Performing Arts Complex.
- November: Vox PHAMALIA, another original sketch comedy based in Denver.
- All Year: Phamaly performs touring shows and outreach performances statewide in Colorado.
For more information on Phamaly Theatre Company, please contact Executive Director Chris Silberman: 303-575-0005 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MAILING ADDRESS: P.O. Box 44216, Denver, CO 80201
OFFICE ADDRESS: 1400 Dallas St., Aurora, CO 80010
The PHAMALY mission
Mission: To provide professional theatre opportunities and artistic development for performers with disabilities, and to promote the inclusion of people with disabilities in the performing arts community.
- Artistic Excellence: Commitment to high quality theater artistry
- Empowerment: Encouraging and supporting the development and full realization of professionalism for performers with disabilities
- Awareness: Education that challenges perceptions about people with disabilities and their capabilities
- Inclusion: Providing, advocating for and building a sense of community to ensure access and opportunities for performers with disabilities
- As a not-for-profit 501c3 organization, PHAMALY is dedicated to producing traditional theater in nontraditional ways.
- We strive to empower our actors as they acquire and improve their acting skills.
- We educate theater professionals in methods of adapting their own productions to the needs of people with disabilities.
- We develop, discover, and incorporate assistive technologies to improve the experience for actors and audiences alike.
Recent PHAMALY Productions
PHAMALY Board of Directors
2012 Board of Directors
Dustin Whistler, Chair (Forte Commercial Real Estate)
Teresa Cope, Vice Chair (South Suburban Park & Recreation District)
Sarah Hom, Secretary (Colorado Symphony Orchestra)
Jack Dorwart, Treasurer (Retired Executive Director, Sun Power, Inc.)
Kelli Bainbridge (Douglas County School District)
Todd Black (5280 Magazine)
Anna Floyd (Independent Health & Social Psychologist)
Virginia Mays (Weathervane Contracting)
Jeremy Palmer (Denver Public Schools)
Marion Robinson (Independent Marketing & Branding Specialist)
John Walborn (Computer Programmer & Internet Technology Specialist)
Ginger White Brunetti (Denver Arts & Venues)
The Velveteen Rabbit: A Touring Production
In addition to trainings, workshops and event entertainment, Phamaly presents the timeless tale of love and sacrifice as revealed through the story of a small stuffed rabbit given as a gift to a little boy. This musical adaptation is a classic children’s story that the entire family can enjoy.
Actors Jenna Bainbridge, Daniel Traylor, Don Mauck, Amber Marsh, Ashley Kelashian, and Lisa Young bring Margery Williams’ classic book to magical life in this enchanting musical about love, loss and self-esteem, with music by the composer of the smash Off-Broadway revue I Love you, You’re Perfect, Now Change.
New in 2013, PHAMALY presents a community touring show for the whole family: The Velveteen Rabbit - which will tour Colorado statewide in 2013, visiting Crested Butte, the Broomfield Auditorium, and other locations that normally would not have immediate access to a PHAMALY programming. The production is approximately 1 hour in length and is available for booking by performance venues, churches, corporations, schools, and community centers.
Director: Bryce Alexander Book and Lyrics: James Still, adapted from the story by Margery Williams Composer: Jimmy Roberts THEATREWORKS USA Version
For more information on booking The Velveteen Rabbit or other entertainment by PHAMALY for your event, please contact Bryce Alexander at email@example.com.
Donate to PHAMALY
PHAMALY relies on donations from generous individuals to continue furthering our mission.